Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)
Provincial Nominee program is an agreement between CIC and individual provinces/territories to facilitate the selection of immigrants by a province/ territory, allowing greater flexibility for specific needs to be addressed. Provinces/territories establish their own criteria and processes to nominate immigrants.
Most of the provinces in Canada have participated in the PN Program. The most well-known Provincial Programs in Canada is the British Columbia PNP (also known as BC PNP), Manitoba PNP and Alberta PNP.
The Province of Quebec does not participate in the Provincial Nomination Program. Rather, the Governments of Quebec and Canada have entered into a series of agreements, by which Quebec has established its own selection criteria for all economic immigrants who indicate their intention to reside in that province.
Those who wish to apply under Provincial Nominee Programs must have the skills, education and work experience to contribute to the economy of that province or territory and must want to live there. Provincial Nomination is also an important fast-track option available for Canadian Permanent Residency.
Provincial Nominee Program and Express Entry
Each province and territory has its own “streams” (immigration programs that target certain groups) and criteria for their PNP. For example, in a program stream, provinces and territories may target students, business people, skilled workers or semi-skilled workers. In some Provinces, applicants with family members, close relatives or family friends in that particular province are given additional advantage.
Some Provincial Nomination Programs may be part of the Express Entry System. This was done in January 1, 2015 and are called ‘Enhanced Nominations’.
The following Provinces are currently participating in the PNP:
- British Columbia (BC PNP)
- New Brunswick
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- Northwest Territories
- Nova Scotia
- Prince Edward Island
Where our expertise helps
Our Consultants at Elohim Consulting Services can help by:
- Conducting a FREE Assessment and determining your eligibility for Express Entry System
- Creation of your Express Entry Profile if that particular PNP Stream falls within the Express Entry System
- Facilitate the completion of Provincial Nominee Visa Formalities if you are invited to apply under Express Entry System
- Facilitate completion of Non-Express Entry Provincial Nominee Programs
- Facilitate visa formalities under the Quebec Skilled Worker Immigration Program